The Community College Math Ship

The Community College Math Ship
U.S.S. Math Club

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Oct. 16 Minutes

Meeting Oct. 16

Hey everyone!!!  Sorry I am writing this blog so late.  I have had junk and stuff to do. 

Thursday’s math club meeting was a refreshing change from our normally busy and hectic meetings to a slow and relaxing discussion (if you think that getting voluntold to commit to being places and doing certain tasks is relaxing). 

We kicked off the meeting with an “in your face” kind of question.  The question was, “have you ever stopped going to class and why?”  Well, once I got over the initial shock of the question, I decided to go along with the exercise because, you know, why not?  I personally told an intense tale of guile and intrigue about my time in pre-calculus.  Yes, I had taken it multiple times and yes, it was because I was a dumb teenager hopped up on hormones.  Others in the club told their heartfelt struggles with math and I could sympathize.  The struggle is real.

Antonia volunteered (actual volunteer not voluntold) to become the Commissioner of Community Outreach!  I don’t even know what that means exactly, but I feel like it may be important.  Apparently, Antonia’s got some connections or something in that area.  She is going to be leading the way for the Julia Robinson Festival in Redwood City and the various volunteer tutoring opportunities in the area.

Halloween is fast approaching.  Tons of people volunteered to be at the table and we decided on all dressing up as math tests.  Well, I know math exams are scary for the rest of the population, but personally I love them so much that I wouldn’t mind rolling around in math exams.  Actually, that is how I am going to get all the math exams on me.  I am going to roll around in them with glue until they stick to me.

I think everyone has agreed on the whole pi stickers idea.  I thought we went over that last week, but lord knows that I enjoy talking about pi stickers every week.  It is in fact my favorite topic of discussion. 

Next week we have a guest speaker that works at facebook.  She went to Canada years ago, so she may know some things about the education process through STEM.  Let’s all welcome her as warmly as possible.

We talked about more stuff like the conferences, but there are only a handful of people who are going, so I do not to sully this blog with stuff that doesn’t apply to everyone.  Yes…occasionally, even I am considerate. 


Aj OUT!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment